The Aeronautics Aerodynamics design subsystem is responsible for the design and performance evaluation of the team’s UAVs. This consists of the design of the lifting surfaces and fuselage, the evaluation of the stability and performance, and the selection of the propulsion system as thoroughly explained in the subsystems tab.
As a member of ASAT Aeronautics Aerodynamics design subsystem, you will be able to work on our current projects alongside the rest of the team’s members, both gaining experience and bringing your own perspective to the tasks. This is an opportunity to test the theoretical skills you have learned so far and apply them to a real project. You will gain experience in the aircraft design process of a UAV. Moreover, you will learn to use and create a variety of tools for aerodynamic analyses, from low-fidelity and in-house modeling to high-fidelity CFD simulations.
- Fluid dynamics
- Programming in Matlab/Python
- Eagerness and enthusiasm about Aeronautics and Aircraft design
- Critical thinking
- The aircraft design process of a UAV through the implementation of aircraft design tools
- Programming in Matlab/Python for using/writing aerodynamic analysis or aircraft design tools
- Using low-fidelity aerodynamic modelings such as XFLR5 and XFOIL
- Using high-fidelity CFD aerodynamic modelings such as Beta CAE ANSA and META, ANSYS Fluent, and CFX
- CAD surfacing tools such as SolidWorks and Autodesk Inventor
- Planning, execution, experience, and data analysis through designated flight testing of our UAVs